What is Voice Search
For those of us who are keyboard challenged, not quick or accurate typists, voice search is the ability to simply speak your query. So much easier and in the case of vehicles, so much safer to ask your smart device, such as a smartphone, tablet and now with so many cars having a hands-free system that links with your Smartphone. There are also numerous smart speakers, your Chrome web browser and Microsoft has added Cortana for windows 10, with built in speech recognition
Voice search, also called voice-enabled, allows the user to use a voice command to search the Internet, a website, or an app. In a broader definition, voice search includes open-domain keyword query on any information on the Internet, for example in Google Voice Search, [and the Smart Speakers like Google Home, Google Mini] Cortana, Siri, Samsung's Bixby and Amazon Echo.
NOTE: with minor additions this paragraph came from Wikipedia
Are People using Voice Search NOW?
- They said in late 2016, 40% of adults use voice search at least once per day and by 2020 it's estimated that 50% of all searches online will be done via voice.
- By late 2018 71% of owners of smart speakers like Amazon Echo and Google Home use voice assistants at least daily, and 44% using them multiple times a day, according to Adobe Analytics.
- More and more people are buying smart speakers and wearable tech, Google already says 20% of ALL mobile searches are by voice
- According to Microsoft, 3 months after Windows 10 launched 33% of searches were using voice
- More to the point, 65% of those of us who own a Google Assistant, (Home or mini) or Amazon's Echo can't imagine being without them!
- And the Echo Dot was the best-selling product on all of Amazon in the 2018 holiday season.
- It's predicted that Google will outrun Amazon in the
Does Voice Search accommodate Accessibility?
Google has created an app: Voice Access* which is an accessibility service that helps users who have difficulty manipulating a touch screen (e.g. due to paralysis, tremor, or temporary injury) control your device with spoken commands. Use your voice to open apps, navigate, and edit text hands-free as well as letting you answer or decline phone calls. Available in English, Spanish, German, Italian, or French. Android version 5.0 or later.
*ONLY available for Android at this time See Android Accessibility Help for more information
How can small business apply voice search?
- Create content that talks back and always think service first.. How can you serve your audience
- Focus on mobile search Use content that answers: "when," "how," "what," "who," in respect of your business
- Claim your GMB Listing if you are a local bricks and mortar or service business
- SEO for voice is just regular optimization applied to speech simply optimize for all of it
- Identify your long-tail search queries when you ask out loud you use more words like in conversation
- Use Structured Data Markup on your website for all of your key elements
- Keep it simple, ask and answer questions in your content and start with the basics about your business
Will voice search be more useful for marketers?
As voice search grows in popularity, advertising agencies and marketers expect Google and Amazon will open their platforms to additional forms of paid messages. (according to Comscore)
SEO Search Engine Optimization
What is search engine optimization?
Search Engine Optimization is a variety of measures and methods used to maximize the effectiveness of all of your digital properties to inform the search engines of your relevance and quality in your areas of expertise.
Optimization in a more general sense is making the most of, or doing the best at, or adding and maximizing productivity, strength, reliability, longevity, efficiency, and utilization.
the action of making the best or most effective use of a situation or resource.
Merriam-Webster Definition of optimization. : an act, process, or methodology of making something (such as a design, system, or decision) as fully perfect, functional, or effective as possible specifically :
What is integration online?
Integration - noun
an act or instance of combining into an integral whole.
Integration is the actions taken to make all of your digital properties consistent, in terms of name, address, phone and handles for social media (when at all possible) It is the setting of the foundations, to project a concise and authentic picture of you and your business that can be assessed and quantified by the search engines, and when combined with optimization can increase your traffic to your website and blog, by increasing the site's visibility. This will help you grow your followers and lead to more conversions into customers.